Monday, January 02, 2006

home is heaven

There's no place like home. Really. And I'm still home. The old woody smell of our cabinet, the sweet cold zephyr of the evening, the crowing of our roosters and the cackling of its hens, the warmth of the burning logs in a pugon-cooker, the ember of coal warming the "sinaing", the mosquito net and the cushioned "banig"-- these and more I will miss again when I go back to Manila two sleeps away. I just had bamboo shoots (tambo) cooked with "tagabang", "hipon", "kuhol" and "gata" for lunch and fresh pineapple for dessert. I can have this every day but it won't shake off my appetite. Why the hell, aside from being my favorite dish, it's lovingly cooked by my Nanay. Home sweet home-- its indeed heaven second to the real one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

si nanay alimasag ang isinasahog sa tambo. ang sarap! hek hek hek! ginugutom tuloy ako.

joshjaena said...

wow! may nakakarelate na sa akin kung gaano kasarap ang tambo (labong in tagalog)! paturo ka sa nanay mo magluto nun tapos baon ka sa school, kainin natin sa canteen! hehe!

Anonymous said...

yup labong. yung dilaw na grated na binebenta sa palengke. meron din yung kulay puti. i like d yellow one better than d white. saka gusto ko buo as in sliced. hindi yung parang kinayod na buko. alam ko na paano magluto nun no :-P nilalagyan ko pa yun okra saka saluyot. minsan may gata minsan wala. hek hek gutom na naman ako. salamat sa add! link din kita ;-) apir!

joshjaena said...

wow, sana minsan luto ka tikim ako! hehe... thanks sa link. apir!