Sunday, March 05, 2006

Sino ang mas pikon?


My first thesis was "Content Analysis of Ninez Cacho-Olivares' Column About Cory Aquino in the Philippine Daily Inquirer" in 1992. It was an approved topic, and I was able to finish data gathering and classifying the words and phrases used by Ms. Olivares to describe Cory Aquino.
At some point, she called Ms. Aquino "coward who buries her head in the sand", "thief" and similar descriptions. As far as I can recall, Ms. Olivares has lambasted Cory Aquino far worse than Gloria Arroyo today in her columns. The only difference is that Cory was more tolerant with criticisms than Gloria. In fact, Gloria is more vindictive, to a point that she rejoiced when she learned that cases have been filed against Ms. Olivares and her two editors. See Daily Tribune's report on this.

Unfortunately, my stint as USC councilor and being chairman of the Popular Struggles Committee at the height of the campaign to oust the US Bases has deferred me to finish it and eventually drop the topic. My 2nd thesis topic is "Study of the decline of newspaper readers in the Philippines" (don't dare start counting the years!). I have not yet concluded my analysis but I still go with my theory that newspaper readership increases when controversial issues pop up. More so when the issue in question is the newspaper itself. To quote the Daily Tribune, "On the part of the Tribune, it was an unwelcomed free publicity, as publisher Ninez Cacho-Olivares has said in an interview, circulation of the newspaper has rocketed since the raid. " Taking that out as a variable, is the newspaper readership really declining?

Shall I answer that question next semester? I can afford to have Inc when the publishing climate is this messy. Then may I scream: "Kasalan ni Gloria lahat ito!"

No comments: