Monday, February 05, 2007

Global Warming

My Philosophy 1 teacher once declared, "the truth of the general contains the truth of the particular." Eg. "The world is warming", "Manila is part of the world", "Therefore, Manila is warming."

But is it? For almost a week now, newspapers and cable news channels looked like weather bureaus dispatching gloomy updates on the state of the global climate. Global warming has become the staple topic, and maybe for lack of local gossips, or tired of political grandstandings, even AM radio commentators picked up the issue, inviting climatologists to talk about something we have long been neglecting. As if global warming has just dawned on our asses. But it's long been decided, said Dan Vergano of USA Today- The Debate is Over: Globe is Warming! Matitigas lang talaga ulo natin!

Ironically, since the last week of January, Manila, and perhaps many parts of the country, is swallowed by colder air believably caused by the advancing cold front. It is colder in the evening and culminates in the wee hours, reminding me that my orinola has not yet come of age.

By the way, while I don't consciously patronize Green Peace, Haribon or any environmentalist group, I downloaded my first step of my first "fight against global warming" from LocalCooling.Com. Clap! Clap! We'll honestly, not actually out of nobler cause than to save the lifespan of my laptop battery-- from an original 80-Watt output, now it's 56 Watts! In effect, me and those who use LocalCooling are saving trees, galloons of gas and energy. Ultimately we also save the world from warming!

"The world is warming."
"Manila, where I live, is part of the world."
"Therefore the world, because of me, will have hope!"

No comments: