Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Simbang Gabi


I am one of the luckiest Catholics this Advent season. Others may have adapted the habit of waking up early, or keeping up the energy until 10pm for the traditional Simbang Gabi. I am not gifted with such powers, but I have the inherent advantage of living beside a church. Yes, literally.

My room is facing the church's altar right across the street that separates me from St. Joseph the Worker parish. I will always be one of those few first persons to hear the church doors open and see the lights on-- even in the deep of my slumber.

Each day, I could not escape the sermons that come faint, or distractingly strong, depending on the priest and the mood of the sound system, just as I start to set my feet on dreamland. Unlike the sleep junkies, I am not annoyed though. I know, something blissful is happening while every word is uttered and every song is sung just across my room. If the Lord is in the tabernacle, then He surely is my closest neighbor. "Where can I hide from your spirit? From your presence, where can I flee?".

Thank you Lord!

No comments: